Popular Wheel Mechanics Online Workshop
The flyer spinning wheel is a subtle machine. Understanding this ingenious tool, optimizing its performance, and making it work for you is key to becoming an accomplished spinner.
In this far-ranging online workshop, Judith MacKenzie looks at several wheels available to spinners today, dissects their differences, gives pointers on get the best from them, and shares tips and hints on making your wheel as efficient and versatile as it was designed to be.
In This Online Workshop You'll Learn:
- How wheel size influences spinning
- How the shape of your flyer affects your spinning
- Why your hooks are on the same side of the flyer, or why you might want them to be
- Why a pulley is not a whorl
- How to spin six different yarns by making simple wheel adjustments
- How to fill a flyer properly, and why it matters
- And several dozen additional fascinating and critical facts and exercises that will make you a better spinner
- Workshop Overview
- Meet Your Instructor
- The Evolution of Spinning
- Flyer Mechanics
- The Parts of a Wheel
- Pulleys & Tension Adjustments
- Maintaining Your Wheel
Watch a Preview Now:
Skill Level: Any spinner who owns a wheel, or is thinking of buying one.
Materials Needs: None to watch, but it's helpful to refer to your own wheel as you move through the workshop.
This Online Workshop Includes:
- Discussion board: The discussion board is a great way to interact with other users in the Online Workshop. It's an open forum for you to ask questions, share your thoughts, and express your inspirations.
- Gallery: Share images of your work where you can give and receive feedback from fellow students.
- Notes: This is a place for you to keep personal notes to help you with your work and the Online Workshop content. Only you will be able to see your notes.
- Video Lessons: Run Time 125 minutes
About the Instructor:
Judith MacKenzie has been spinning and weaving most of her life. Her traditional training has been expanded with world travel, deep research, and industry consultation. She writes and teaches extensively, and is the author of The Intentional Spinner and The Practical Spinner's Guide to Rare Luxury Fibers. Her video downloads and workshops include Three Bags Full, The Gentle Art of Plying, and The Spinners Toolbox.