Introduction to Shadow Weave: Dazzling Patterns in Simple Cloth Video Download
Access more than 140 video courses (including this one) with a Long Thread Media All Access subscription, bringing you up close to experts in spinning, weaving, needleworking, felting, and dyeing. View Introduction to Shadow Weave: Dazzling Patterns in Simple Cloth on our streaming platform.
Discover the Magic of Shadow Weave
Did you know you can weave stunning designs with as few as four shafts and four treadles, and never change your tie-up? Imagine weaving eye-catching patterns with any yarn, from wool and cotton to chenille, novelty, and glitz, and making cloth that’s suitable for any use, from clothing and accessories to hard-wearing towels and upholstery. Welcome to shadow weave, the fabric of your dreams.
In this video download, award-winning weaver and teacher Jannie Taylor introduces you to shadow weave, a type of color-and-weave design that gives you infinite patterning possibilities in even basic cloth. You’ll learn:
- The basics of shadow-weave structure and pattern
- The two types of shadow-weave design
- How to choose colors to get the effects you want
- How to create new patterns at the loom with treadling variations
- Tips and tricks for successful warping and weaving
The goal of this course is to help you gain a clear understanding of shadow weave through step-by-step instruction combined with guided practice. Many of the lessons include pencil-and-paper exercises to embed your new skills more firmly.
Included in this Video Download:
- Nearly 80 minutes of detailed instructional video
- Course workbook
- 13 WIFs and matching drafts and drawdowns
- History of Shadow Weave: Atwater, Powell, and More
- Understanding Shadow-Weave Drafts
- Changing Direction in Shadow-Weave Drafts
- Shadow Weave Tie-ups
- Treadling Shadow Weave
- Choosing Colors for Shadow-Weave Designs
- Tips for Warping and Threading
- Weaving Shadow Weave
- Variations in Treadling and Design
- Review and More Possibilities!
Equipment and Materials:
- For the video, you’ll need a printed copy of the provided workbook and pencil.
- To weave shadow weave, you’ll need at least a 4-shaft loom and basic weaving equipment.
Jannie Taylor lives in California and teaches advanced weaving classes at the AVL Weaving School. She also presents programs and workshops for guilds and conferences, including every Convergence from 2008 through 2022. When she's not teaching, Jannie enjoys designing and weaving one-of-a-kind items. On weaving, she says, “Sitting at my loom, throwing the shuttle and watching the amazing process of threads being interlaced into a textile that began as an idea in my head is still, after all these years, a joyful and amazing experience.”
Running time: 79 minutes
Instructor: Jannie Taylor