Spice Up Your Weaving 2: Design Theory & Inspiration On Demand Web Seminar
Spice Up Your Weaving II: Design Theory & Inspirationwebinar with Karen Donde
Principles and elements of design that guide all artists also apply to handwoven textiles. However the range of products that can be created by interlacing two sets of threads is so diverse that weavers sometimes shy away from designing on their own in favor of the tried and true. They needn’t.
Karen Donde designs handwoven textiles for sale, commission and exhibit. In this web seminar she will share historical perspectives on the development of modern hand weaving, design theories from a few of her personal heroes and examples of how to apply these theories and principles to your weaving.
She’ll also teach you a warm-up exercise to get the ideas flowing and demonstrate how to take inspiration from any stage in the design process.
With Karen Donde's Spice Up Your Weaving webinar, you will learn:
- How to relate design principles to requirements of handweaving
- How to collect and categorize design ideas
- How to use hands-on and online color tools to find appealing palettes
- How to put proportion theories to work for you
- How to distinguish between pattern and weave structure
- How to find inspiration in yarn, weave structure, recipes, and your own weaving
- and much more!
This weaving webinar is for all skill levels of weavers. Who should attend this webinar?
- Novice weavers unsure about designing their own projects
- Experience weavers overwhelmed by too many design choices
- Weavers who need help organizing their ideas
- Weavers who think they're not creative enough to design
- Weavers with a studio full of yarn they don't know how to use
- Weavers who love experimenting with weave structures but want to turn them into finished projects
- Weavers who have only woven from recipes
- Weavers inspired by published projects who want to use them as design inspiration
- Weavers who have trouble coming up with ideas
Karen Donde weaves limited-edition, one-of-a-kind and custom garments, fashion accessories and home textiles for sale and teaches beginning-advanced weaving classes and assorted workshops. She currently is resident weaving instructor and marketing/promotions manager at Sutherland Handweaving Studio in Asheville, N.C.’s River Arts District.
Donde began weaving in 1998 and has been teaching since 2004. In October 2008, she earned a Certificate of Excellence in Handweaving-Level I from the Handweavers Guild of America. She is a recent graduate of the Haywood Community College Professional Crafts-Fiber program.
An experienced and award-winning writer with a bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Missouri, Donde now writes for and about weavers. She is a contributor to Handwoven magazine and its Weaving Today email newsletter, and serves on the magazine’s Editorial Advisory Board.
Donde is a juried member of the Southern Highland Craft Guild. She also belongs to several weaving guilds, including the Western North Carolina Fibers/Handweavers Guild. She served four years on the board of directors for the Mid-Atlantic Fiber Association.