Experiments in Deflected Doubleweave Video Download
Access more than 140 video courses (including this one) with a Long Thread Media All Access subscription, bringing you up close to experts in spinning, weaving, needleworking, felting, and dyeing. View Experiments in Deflected Doubleweave on our streaming platform.
More Dimensions, Layers, and Connections
Interested in exploring the vast ways you can adapt and use deflected doubleweave (DDW) in your weaving? Discover creative new approaches to DDW as you play and experiment with this beautiful weave structure.
This freeform class allows you to explore advanced approaches to DDW and design. Due to the more experimental style, it’s recommended that students have a firm grasp of weaving DDW before taking this course.
As you watch, you’ll learn how to:
- Choose yarn and colors
- Work with fine fibers to create beautiful gauze-like windowpanes
- Design and plan your layers, including 3- and 4-layer options
- Combine crimp weave with DDW for unbelievable texture
- Weave DDW in twill
- Create a V-shaped shawl in DDW
- And more!
After watching this course, you’ll be able to take the basic concepts shown in the video and the drafts in the workbook to design and weave your own creations. Join Janney as you explore the versatility of DDW and push the structure to make fabrics that are fun to weave and wear!
- Weavers should be able to weave DDW confidently
Before taking this course, start with a foundational class such as:
- Weaving Deflected Doubleweave with Madelyn van der Hoogt
New Dimensions in Deflected Doubleweave with Janney Simpson
Included in the video download:
- 80 minutes of detailed instructional video
- Course workbook DDW gamp sampler pattern and 10 other drafts
- Skeleton tie-up for countermarch looms**
Materials and equipment:
- For the video, you'll want a printed copy of the provided workbook for notes and for reference alongside many of the video lessons.
- To weave the DDW sampler, you’ll need an 8-shaft floor or table loom, 12- or 15-dent reed, 2 shuttles, 2–3 bobbins, tape measure, T-pins, weights for broken ends, and scissors. Floor loom weavers will need 24 treadle cords or pins for their tie-up.
**Note: In this course, Janney weaves on a jack loom with a skeleton tie-up to eliminate the necessity of retying her treadles. We’ve added a skeleton tie-up for countermarch-loom weavers that also allows you to follow along without retying.
Janney Simpson relishes the "ah-ha" moment when new weavers throw a shuttle for the first time. She has been weaving for more than 35 years. After getting bitten by the deflected doubleweave bug a decade ago, she started teaching DDW locally and nationally. Often accompanied by a golden retriever in her studio, she weaves on looms of all breeds.
Running time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Instructor: Janney Simpson
Handwoven May/June 2023Regular price $9.99 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Spin Off Summer 2023Regular price $9.99 USDRegular priceUnit price per
PieceWork Summer 2023Regular price $9.99 USDRegular priceUnit price per
10 Favorite Rigid-Heddle Projects eBookRegular price $12.99 USDRegular priceUnit price per