Weaving with Rags: Making Rag Rugs and More Video Download
Access more than 140 video courses (including this one) with a Long Thread Media All Access subscription, bringing you up close to experts in spinning, weaving, needleworking, felting, and dyeing. View Weaving with Rags: Making Rag Rugs and More on our streaming platform.
If you’ve ever done rag weaving, you know that it’s fast, fun, and offers amazing opportunities to play with color and design. But did you know that you can also make rags into other home décor items, sturdy bags, or chic fashion accessories?
In this video, Tom Knisely teaches you how to design and weave rag projects for every purpose, using both purchased and recycled fabric, as well as how the interaction yarn and cloth create gorgeous results.
You’ll love this if:
- You want to learn the best materials for rag weaving, from purchased yardage to recycled silk scarves and blue jeans.
- You want tips for success in your rag weaving, from smooth weft joins to good warp color choices.
- You want to advance your weaving skills with instruction from one of the best in Tom Knisely.
As you watch, you'll learn how to:
- See how to plan rag-weaving projects to get the pattern and color effects you want.
- Learn how to prepare fabric strips for weaving.
- Discover hems and other finishing techniques for rag fabrics.
We’re certain that you’ll come to love rag weaving and enjoy turning your rags into handwoven riches!
About the instructor: Tom Knisely has been teaching handweaving for more than 30 years. In addition to teaching, Tom weaves professionally and is a frequent contributor to Handwoven magazine. Voted Handwoven Teacher of the Year, Tom is renowned among his weaving students for his kindness, good humor, and “seemingly infinite knowledge on the subject of weaving.” He teaches at the beautiful Red Stone Glen Fiber Arts Center in York Haven, Pennsylvania.
Running Time: 104 minutes