Weaving Summer and Winter Video Download
Traditional, yet contemporary, summer and winter fabric is reversible and fun to weave and design. Named for the light (summer) and dark (winter) sides of the cloth, it has been used for traditional coverlets but is also great for long-wearing household textiles and outerwear fabrics. It is also the most shaft-thrifty of all the block weaves, so you can get a lot of pattern pleasure on a 4-shaft loom and even more as you add shafts. In this video, Madelyn van der Hoogt teaches everything you need to know to weave and design your own fabrics with summer and winter.
In this weaving video, you'll learn:
- How the summer and winter structure works
- How to design your own summer and winter drafts and projects
- How to weave summer and winter for good fabric and even patterning
- How to treadle summer and winter in different ways to create subtly different effects in the patterns
- Ideas for playing with color and materials
Along with Madelyn's video workshop, this video gives you a printable booklet with 11 summer and winter projects you can learn from and use.
About the Host:
Madelyn van der Hoogt loves everything about weaving, and she has shared her joy with thousands of weavers over three decades of weaving, writing, and teaching. Madelyn is the owner of The Weavers School, author of The Complete Book of Drafting, and editor emerita of Handwoven magazine.