Weave a Good Rug with Tom Knisely: From Fiber to Finish Video Download
Access more than 140 video courses (including this one) with a Long Thread Media All Access subscription, bringing you up close to experts in spinning, weaving, needleworking, felting, and dyeing. View Weave a Good Rug with Tom Knisely: From Fiber to Finish on our streaming platform.
Take Your Weaving Skills to New Heights With Rug Weaving!
Rugs present some unique weaving challenges. They can be rustic, elegant, or just plain fun, but they also have to be, well, rugged.
In this video, filmed on location at The Mannings Handweaving School in rural Pennsylvania, Tom Knisely explains how to weave a good rug. From fibers to finishing, learn everything you need to know to successfully and comfortably weave attractive, sturdy rugs you’ll delight in having underfoot.
Here’s just a sampling of all the weaving tips and techniques that you will learn from this 3 1/2 hour video:
- Overview of rug structures and the importance of an unbalanced cloth
- What features to look for in a rug loom in order to create a sturdy piece of fabric
- Rug shuttles, temples, and other equipment that makes rug weaving more successful and easier on the weaver
- Choosing and preparing materials, from cotton and wool to fabrics for rags, for rug weaving
- Warping techniques specifically for weaving rugs
- Dozens of tips for weaving warp rep and weft rep, rag, and boundweave rugs
- Braids, fringes, binding, and other finishing techniques