Spinning Wheel Mechanics: 2-Part Series Video Download
Access more than 140 video courses (including this one) with a Long Thread Media All Access subscription, bringing you up close to experts in spinning, weaving, needleworking, felting, and dyeing. View Spinning Wheel Mechanics: 2-Part Series on our streaming platform.
Spinning wheels are marvelous machines! Instructor Amy Tyler wants to help you know the mechanics of how you and your wheel work—and how to use that knowledge to improve your spinning.
In this two-part series* you’ll learn the concepts of mechanics and motion (such as force, torque, angular momentum, and friction) in a non-mathematical, practical way. While this video covers the science of spinning, you don’t have to be a scientist to understand and utilize all the concepts presented.
As you follow along, you’ll:
- Refamiliarize yourself with the parts of different wheels
- Understand drive and tension systems, including Scotch Tension, Irish Tension, and Double Drive
- Gain an understanding of drive ratio and how to use it to control twist
- Learn how to use pushing and pulling forces to your advantage
- Explore the physics of spinning in a fun and enjoyable way
- Reinforce your skills with the exercises included in many of the lessons
By the end of this video, you’ll have a deeper understanding of your wheel, the forces at work while spinning, and how you and your wheel can work together. Whether you’ve been spinning for 5 days or 50 years, these valuable lessons and exercises will help you refine and tune your spinning.
Included in the Download:
- Over 100 minutes of detailed instructional video
- Workbook and exercises for Part 1
- Workbook and exercises for Part 2
Amy Tyler has spent her adult life studying human movement, both in art (modern dance) and in science (kinesiology, physiology). She spent nine years teaching physical therapy students about motor learning, neuromuscular physiology, biomechanics, and evidence-based therapy. She left academic life in 2004 to pursue fiber arts. When asked recently by a former physiology colleague if she uses her science background in the fiber arts, she replied, “Every single day!”
Running time: 1 hour 41 minutes
Instructor: Amy Tyler
*How the two-part series works:
When you purchase this series, you’ll get ALL the video lessons, workbooks, and exercises for both parts as they release. It’s like having two videos in one! The release schedule will be as follows:
- Part 1 is available in your course starting today
- Part 2 will be available to download beginning January 11, 2023
We hope this gives you time to watch and digest each lesson, practice using the exercises included, and reinforce the concepts you’ve learned while spinning.