Spice Up Your Weaving: A Guide to Weaving Design on Demand Web Seminar
Spice Up Your Recipe Weaving:
A Weaver's Guide to Project Planning & Design
webinar with Karen Donde
Weaving recipes are great learning tools. But when you’re ready to break free and design on your own, you’ll need to work through decisions about fiber, yarn size, sett, color, pattern and structure to design handwoven textiles that look, feel and function the way you intend.
Weaver Karen Donde designs handwoven textiles for sale, commission and exhibit. In this web seminar she will present her step-by-step Project Planning Workbook (included with this webinar), leading participants through the technical and aesthetic decisions that can make designing handwoven textiles challenging.
And because inspiration can come from any step in the design process, whether it’s a particular yarn, weave structure or technique, she’ll show you how to start in the middle of the workbook, making decisions backward and forward to get to your desired result.
- How to collect and categorize design ideas
- How to compare and contrast fiber properties and yarn characteristics
- How to find color inspiration and test color interactions
- How to distinguish between pattern and weave structure
- How to develop your own weaving drafts for any desired project
- How to estimate yarn needs more accurately
- Basic computer drafting tools
- And how to optimize the sampling process of weaving!
This weaving webinar is for all skill levels of weavers. Who should attend this webinar?
- Novice weavers unsure about designing their own projects
- Experience weavers overwhelmed by too many design choices
- Weavers who need help organizing their ideas
- Weavers who think they're not creative enough to design
- Weavers with a studio full of yarn they don't know how to use
- Weavers who love experimenting with weave structures but want to turn them into finished projects
- Weavers who have only woven from recipes
- Weavers inspired by published projects who want to use them as design inspiration
- Weavers who have trouble coming up with ideas
Karen Donde weaves limited-edition, one-of-a-kind and custom garments, fashion accessories and home textiles for sale and teaches beginning-advanced weaving classes and assorted workshops. She currently is resident weaving instructor and marketing/promotions manager at Sutherland Handweaving Studio in Asheville, N.C.’s River Arts District.
Donde began weaving in 1998 and has been teaching since 2004. In October 2008, she earned a Certificate of Excellence in Handweaving-Level I from the Handweavers Guild of America. She is a recent graduate of the Haywood Community College Professional Crafts-Fiber program.
An experienced and award-winning writer with a bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Missouri, Donde now writes for and about weavers. She is a contributor to Handwoven magazine and its Weaving Today email newsletter, and serves on the magazine’s Editorial Advisory Board.
Donde is a juried member of the Southern Highland Craft Guild. She also belongs to several weaving guilds, including the Western North Carolina Fibers/Handweavers Guild. She served four years on the board of directors for the Mid-Atlantic Fiber Association.