Pick-Up Stick Basics and Beyond Video Download
Access more than 140 video courses (including this one) with a Long Thread Media All Access subscription, bringing you up close to experts in spinning, weaving, needleworking, felting, and dyeing. View Pick-Up Stick Basics and Beyond on our streaming platform.
Go from plain weave to wow by learning how to incorporate the versatile pick-up stick into your rigid-heddle weaving. Gain the confidence to use this tool on its own or embrace the power of two pick-up sticks to create striking patterns of warp and weft floats.
You’ll learn all the fundamentals, including managing the pick-up stick, reading a draft, combining patterns, using two pick-up sticks, and setting up and using a heddle rod. Along with 114 minutes of video instruction, the included drafts make it easy to follow along and begin weaving your own designs using pick-up sticks.
In this video, you’ll:
- Gain essential skills for using a pick-up stick
- Become familiar with reading a pick-up stick draft
- Discover new options using two pick-up sticks
- Learn how to set up and use a heddle rod
- Create amazing texture by combining patterns
Leap from plain weave to a new world of patterning and possibilities with the simple but powerful pick-up stick. Sara’s instruction is easy to follow, and you’ll find many helpful tips and tricks to help you build skills and confidence. Start learning today with this comprehensive video!
Included in the Download:
- 114 minutes of detailed instructional video
- Workbook with five pick-up stick drafts
Materials and Equipment for Weaving:
- Rigid-heddle loom (warp threaded and ready to tie on)
- 10-dent heddle
- Stick shuttles
- At least two contrasting colors of sport weight wool (shown: Nature Spun sport weight by Brown Sheep Company)
- 2 pick-up sticks
- 2 rubber bands
- ½" or ¾" wooden dowel 12" in length (or length that is wider than your heddle)
- Extra heddle for making string heddles
- Strong cotton for making string heddles
- Masking tape or painters’ tape
- Optional: Narrow strip of poster board to use while inserting the pick-up stick
Sara Goldenberg White has been teaching weaving for over a decade. Her passion for both began while studying Fiber Arts at Colorado State University, where she received an MFA. Sara co-authored Simple Woven Garments 20+ Projects to Weave and Wear with Jane Patrick. Some of her other woven projects can be found in The Weaver’s Idea Book, Woven Scarves 26 Inspired Ideas for the Rigid Heddle Loom, Easy Weaving with Little Looms, and Handwoven magazine. In addition to teaching a variety of fiber techniques, Sara has also exhibited her work at museums and galleries throughout the country. She enjoys the balance of creating her own work and sharing her love of weaving in the classroom; she looks forward to seeing you there!
Running time: 1 hour 54 minutes
Instructor: Sara Goldenberg White