Inkle Weaving A to Z: The Basics and Beyond Video Download
Join Jane Patrick in a two hour workshop all about inkle weaving!
Inkle weaving is portable, versatile, and fun for weavers of any age or experience level. With these clever little weaving looms, you can weave bands (inkle, after all, means “band”) with simple patterns or complex ethnic designs, or make novelty trims for clothing, accessories, and home décor.
In this video, Jane Patrick teaches the basics and explains the imaginative possibilities of inkle weaving:
- Warping the inkle loom—Learn how to set tension, make heddles, tie the heddles on to the loom, measure warp threads on the warping pegs, and changecolors.
- Weaving on the inkle loom —Learn how to load a shuttle, make a shed, establish width, create a tight a consistent weave, secure in ends, change yarns, advance the weave, and finish a band
- Basic inkle-weaving patterns—Learn how to create a variety of simple patterns from horizontal bars, vertical wavy lines, dots, and more, and putting them all together, plus discover how to use color to create simple, yet stunning designs.
- Reading and designing inkle drafts—Understand abbreviations, learn to use graph paper to create your own designs, and figure out your own process for note keeping.
- Yarns for inkle weaving—Learn how to pick the right yarns for your project, fiber type, size of yarn, and novelty yarns—and learn which yarns that may not be suitable for inkle weaving.
- Weaving and designing pick-up patterns—Learn how to weave pick-up patterns from very simple to extremely complex, use a pick-up stick to create repeating patterns, and design patterns for pick-up.
- Traditional pebble-weave patterns and weaving letters
- More ideas for inkle patterning—Learn rep weave and other multi-shuttle weaves, weaving a tube, weaving weft fringes, weaving inlay, turning weft-faced patterns to warp-faced, and painting on the warp
- Finishing techniques for inkle fabric—Discover finishing techniques like knotting, twining, wrapping, macramé, braiding, twisting, and sewing in the ends.
This video also includes a booklet of projects to get you started. With Jane’s expert and enthusiastic help, you’ll soon be enjoying the endless fun of inkle weaving.
Inkle Weaving A to Z is sponsored by Schacht Spindle Co. Inc., producer of high quality floor looms, specialty looms, spinning wheels, accessories, and parts. Visit their website at www.schachtspindle.com to learn more about their inkle loom, browse their full product line and find a dealer near you.
Easy Weaving with Little Looms Summer 2023Regular price $14.99 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Spin Off Spring 2023Regular price $9.99 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Handwoven March/April 2023Regular price $9.99 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Spin Off Autumn Retreat (Loveland, Colorado—Oct 29– Nov 3, 2023)Regular price From $2,799.99 USDRegular priceUnit price per