Designing Handwoven Projects with Tom Knisely Online Workshop
Access more than 140 video courses (including this one) with a Long Thread Media All Access subscription, bringing you up close to experts in spinning, weaving, needleworking, felting, and dyeing. View Designing Handwoven Projects with Tom Knisely Online Workshop on our streaming platform.
Stop just looking for the perfect project, and design it instead! Whether you are relatively new to weaving or have been weaving for years, this workshop will guide you through everything you need to consider before designing your own handwoven projects. From choosing and adapting pattern drafts to understanding how your choice of threads and sett will affect your finished piece, from basic project calculations to final finishing, Designing Handwoven Projects will inspire you to start creating your own designs.
In this Online Workshop, Tom will discuss:
- Finding inspiration everywhere you look, from the bookshelf to the grocery shelf, to the backyard and beyond;
- Choosing and adapting basic weaving drafts; combining drafts and adding borders to your handwoven pieces;
- Types of threads, and how they can affect your woven project;
- Simple calculations to determine project measurements and how much yarn you will need;
- Finishing techniques including braids and hemstitching.
- And much more!
- Artist Profile: Tom Knisely
- Finding Inspiration
- Inspiration Album
- Choosing & Adapting Patterns
- Exercise: Wheel of Fortune
- Understanding & Selecting Thread for Your Project
- Calculating Measures and How Much Yarn You will Need
- Finishing Your Project: Fringes & Hems
Watch a Preview Now:
Techniques Covered: Reading drafts, basic math.
Skill Level: Advanced beginner to advanced, period. If you have never designed your own project, this is a great place to start with simple exercises and copies of Tom’s worksheets.
This Online Workshop Includes:
- Video Run Time 84 minutes
- Discussion board: The discussion board is a great way to interact with other users in the Online Workshop. It's an open forum for you to ask questions, share your thoughts, and express your inspirations.
- Gallery: Share images of your work where you can give and receive feedback from fellow students.
- Notes: This is a place for you to keep personal notes to help you with your work and the Online Workshop content. Only you will be able to see your notes.
- Access your videos anytime, anywhere, with a computer, tablet or smartphone Unlimited access. Watch videos at your time and pace. Videos, downloads, and interactive content designed for a better learning experience
About the Instructor:
Tom Knisely has been teaching handweaving for more than forty years. In addition to teaching, Tom weaves professionally and is a frequent contributor to Handwoven magazine. Voted Handwoven Teacher of the Year, Tom is renowned among his weaving students for his kindness, good humor, and seemingly infinite knowledge on the subject of weaving. He teaches at the beautiful Red Stone Glen Fiber Arts Center in York Haven, Pennsylvania.